Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I was wondering if Nancy is online we spoke the other day about

I was wondering if Nancy is online we spoke the other day about my baby with fas and im too scared to tell my husband or anyone. I still cant find the courage and when i look at my little boy and think of all the hardships he will face and how will we all cope my heart just keeps breaking, the more i read the worse it gets. Im trying to tell myself to take one step at a time but all i do all day and night is think and cry
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Just got your email. How are things today?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still the same
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Is it also possible that you have post-partum depression and that is contributing to your fears and daily crying bouts? I remember my hormones being SO out of whack and going from elation to crying after my baby was born and I didn't have PPD; it could be normal hormones or PPD... what do you think?

Also, remember, the sooner you get him in for an evaluation, the better for him. If you go alone to your doctor with your son, maybe ask him not to disclose this to your husband right away?

What do you think of that?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont think it would matter which way i did it i have ruined my sons life and my families
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

You can't be sure what is going on until he has an evaluation. It can look like FAS and be something else... if it were *that* onvious, someone would have said something by now.... I know you are convinced it's FAS, but it may not be....

He needs that evaluation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know it is people are polite when they look at a child even one that doesnt look the same as other babies he has every single facial feature and i drank when he was forming he also doesnt sleep well and startles very easily. Im scared of what my husband will do and if a doctor says it is fas then it is real
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

But you realize, after all your reading, that FAS babies can have a normal IQ, and lead healthy lives.

But again -- he has not been diagnosed... that needs to be the first step.