Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified in family medicine.
4968719

I am distracted by my own blinking. There is nothing wrong

I am distracted by my own blinking. There is nothing wrong with my blinking, but I am suffering from a lot of irrational feelings, and the worst of them is that my mind is too focused on my blinking at the moment and this is affecting my concentration and making me feel distressed. It is also making my eyes tired and irritable. A person is in a constant state of needing to blink at some point; I need to get my mind back to normality on this. Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question. Your symptoms are consistent with obsessive compulsive disorder. People with OCD often have obsessive thoughts/behaviors that they cannot get rid of. These thoughts/behaviors can become so disabling that they cannot function well in daily life. Most of these patients find that anxiety/stress worsen their symptoms.

You should seek help with a psychiatrist. OCD can be treated with medications(e.g. SSRIs). These medications are generally well-tolerated and can be very effective. Therapy aimed at behavior modification can also be very helpful.

I hope this answer is useful to you