Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

i am currently taking 60mg of Paxil, 100 mg of Trazadone and

i am currently taking 60mg of Paxil, 100 mg of Trazadone and 1.5 mg of zanax. My psychiatrist added 10 mg of Celexa and I could not wake up the next morning. I was incoherent, wobbly and had some memory loss. Why do you think this happened?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, it seems what happened with you was that you were overloaded with Anti depressants , you were placed on 2 SSRI anti depresants -- Paxil 60 mg ( fairly high dose ) and celexa 10 mg ( moderate dose) and 1 atypical anti depressant Trazadone at the same time , AND CONCOMITTANT USE OF CELEXA WITH OTHER SSRI ( PAXIL in your case ) and TRAZADONE IS NOT RECOMMENDED AS THIS MAY LEAD TO A CONDITION CALLED AS SEROTONIN SYNDROME , that is increased serotonin ativity in the body which may lead to symptoms such as yours ,so in other words since you had taken 3 anti depressants which are serotonin reuptake inhibitors , tend to increase serotonin activity , so the complaints of incoherence, mental confusion , wobbly , memory loss can be attributed to Serotonin toxicity , due to the concomittant use of 3 Anti depressants ( 2 ssris and 1 atypical ) .

However i believe you did not go into the full blown Serotonin syndrome ,and took a good decision to stop Celexa .

I am sending you links where you can gather more information about Celexa drug interactions and Serotonin syndrome . (see the drug interactions )

So, now i would suggest you to consult your psychiatrist and get your drugs reviewed , and choose a combination which does not overload your system to the extent of toxicity , and i believe a combination of two anti depressants is just fine and adequate to control depressive symptoms . In fact, a combination of effexor XR AND Trazadone is very well recieved as far as successful treatment of depression is concerned. But , first ask your doctor to adjust the doses of present drugs if they are not able to control depressive symptoms , which i assume the combination of trazadone and paxil was not able to achieve , otherwise why would your doctor add 1 more anti depressant . So, if this is the case then you may discuss with your psychiatrist the combination i have discussed above.

I wish you best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.