Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Psychiatrist
Experience:  23 years in practice, inpatient, outpatient, psychotherapy, dream work, medications
16318381

Is it okay to take 30mg of Cymbalta in the morning and 50mg

Customer Question

Is it okay to take 30mg of Cymbalta in the morning and 50mg of 5-HTP in the evening? I'm coming off the Cymbalta currently and want to make sure this is a safe level. My naturopath said this should be okay, but I'd just like another opinoin.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Beth replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer

Absolutely, 50mg 5HTP should in no way be dangerous with your Cymbalta 30mg. 5HTP provides tryptophan to make serotonin so that the cymbalta and other antidepressents can work. If you can't make serotonin(from a lack of tryptophan intake) the meds don't work. This has been demonstrated through research..no matter how much of an antidepressant someone was taking.

There has been concern about 5HTP and serotonin meds causing "serotonin syndrome" . Much higher doses of both are required usually.....fever, stiff muscles, warm dry skin are some symptoms. However, taking 50mg-100mg at bedtime (walmart brand for example) is really more of a supplementation for your daily dietary intake....like a thick turkey sandwich each night to keep your tryptophan supply robust. I really doubt you will have any trouble, and you may have real benefit. I recommend it all the time to my own patients. Should you feel shakey or hot, take no more. Make sure your water intake is adequate always. That helps the whole body emmensely. If you are still concerned, take it slowly. Try one 50mg capsule at bedtime and stay with that. Unless you have some very unusual sensitivity, you will only notice that you are perhaps calmer over time and seem to be doing a little better on the low dose of Cymbalta that you are on.

hope this helps!
blessings, dr. beth