MasterDoc, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency physician for 20 years treating many psychiatric patients

my son is 12 1/2. he has lately been waking up within 1 hr

Customer Question

my son is 12 1/2. he has lately been waking up within 1 hr of sleep having hallucinating nightmares. this used to only occur when he was really sick with a virus and a high fever. he recently had the flu and ran a fever for about 3 days and nights. now it seems that what ever he does or watches during the day is now causing the dreams. he wakes up and is aware who i am, but will not listen to me and wants to run around kind of wild and running from what ever his dream is about. usually something or someone trying to get him or even for instance we went shopping for basketball shoes recently, and that night his dream was about lots and lots of basketballs according to him. what does this sound like and what should i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.

Your son is a little young for them, but this sounds like "night terrors". Here is a link to a reliable site that discusses this in detail.

Read that link carefully; I would also recommend discussing this with your sons pediatrician at the next schedueled visit.

Please click ACCEPT.