Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

I see visions of people floating above me in my sleep. It

I see visions of people floating above me in my sleep.   It is always a male figure. The last one I can remember was white male with grey hair. Last night I saw another male but I can't recall what he looks like because I put my head under the pillow.   I believe I am awake when I see these figures but I am not really sure. Why is this happening?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.
Customer

What you're experiencing may be a hypnogogic hallucination which many people experience just while falling asleep and/or while waking. This does not mean that you have a psychotic disorder, but rather it is a phenomenon that occurs in between dreaming consciousness and waking consciousness. As far as I know, there is no treatment for this although some people find that sleep medications induce sleep so quickly (and so deeply) that the hallucinations either disappear or lessen in frequency and intensity.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So there is no way to make this stop other than putting my head under the pillow or taking something to put me in a deep sleep? I am not sure I like that because I am not one to take medications.

What causes this to occur?

Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.
There is no way to stop the images that I'm aware of. There are some people who claim to be able to control their dreams ("lucid dreaming") by consciously focusing on what they want to have happen in a dream prior to going to sleep-- I suppose you could try something like this. You could maybe also try working with a psychologist who uses hypnosis to see if, during an altered state of consciousness, you could have easier access to what's going on here and ways to control it better.