Lily. Mone
Lily. Mone, Psychologist
Experience:  Ongoing PhD in Mental Health. Master degree in Psychology 2007. 1999 to 2003 psychiatry nurse.
16584612

I am currently beinf treated for depression, but i still lack

Customer Question

I am currently beinf treated for depression, but i still lack any energy to get up and take on the world.what else can i do or take
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Have you also tried psychotherapy in addition to the medications you've listed? I would strongly suggest that you discuss your feelings with your psychiatrists to, at a minimum, adjust or change your medication to see if that helps.

Certainly depression can take some time to remit, even with treatment, but it sounds as though you've been struggling with this for some time. If you haven't yet tried psychotherapy, I would suggest finding a psychologist who specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this type of therapy, combined with medication, provides the best results (according to research) in treating depression.

Expert:  Lily. Mone replied 7 years ago.
I

If you already have triad different medications, I would suggest you to discuss alternative methods with your psychiatrist/ psychologist:

• Psychotherapy. A trained mental health professional helps you talk about your moods and behaviors. Therapy can offer you new ways to manage stress and avoid negative events that can set off depressive symptoms.
  • Support Groups. Talking with other people who also have depression may help you feel less alone and more informed about your illness and treatments. There are many local support groups for people with depression.
  • Neurostimulation. Neurostimulation is becoming an option for people who have tried a variety of antidepressants, but they didn’t work, only partly worked, or stopped working.

Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) is one type of neurostimulation that has been approved as an additional treatment for long-term or recurrent depression in adults who have not had success with four or more antidepressant medicines. A device is put into the chest and sends an electrical current to the brain.

Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) is another type of neurostimulation. ECT can be helpful for people whose depression is severe or life-threatening and for people who cannot take antidepressant medicine.[2] Electrodes are placed on the head to deliver electrical impulses. ECT has been controversial, but has improved in recent years. It can help when antidepressant medicines do not work well enough. Researchers are also looking at other neurostimulation treatments, such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), magnetic stimulation therapy (MST), and deep brain stimulation (DBS).

No matter the treatment, it is of the greatest importance that you never give up and stay hopeful. I hope I could help a bit.

Warmest Regards

N.mirzapour