Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

1. What is your educational background 2. Where do you

Customer Question

1. What is your educational background?

2. Where do you currently work?

3. What field of psychology to you practice?

4. Why did you choose your particular field of psychology as a career?

5. How have you applied the study of developmental psychology in your work?

6. What theories of developmental psychology do you find you use most frequently in your position and why?

7. What theories of developmental psychology do you find less useful and why?

8. Can you give me specific examples of how you have applied these theories and the outcomes?

9. What areas of your work in the field so you find most rewarding?

10. What areas in your field do you find the least rewarding?

11. What advice would you give someone who might be considering the psychology as a possible career?

12. Are there any closing thoughts you might like to share?

13. Are there any major theories you find to be completely off base in their application.

I really appreciate all your help!!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
Customer

I'm not sure that I can answer all of your questions but i'll give it a try.

1) I have a Psy.D. in clinical psychology.

2) I work full-time in a university counseling center and part-time in a group practice.

3) Clinical. I work from a combined psychodynamic and CBT approach.

4) This one's complicated... I guess I chose it partly because it interested me and because I like working with people (especially adolescents), but also partially because I was looking to understand myself and my own life/relationships better. I think that most people in mental health go into the field looking for a better understanding of their past as well as a desire to help others sort things out.

5) Working with adolescents, developmental psychology is always a part of the work. Concepts like individuation and separation are always present in the work, as are many of the tenets of attachment theory.

6) I don't really know how to answer this. I guess Erikson's developmental stages are often in my mind when I'm working... I'm not sure if this answers your question.

7) I don't know.

8) Not off hand.

9) I really enjoy working with adolescents and college-age people. This is a time of such change, self-discovery, development of identity and relationships-- it's exciting and people are often really open to making changes. These folks often are really aware of patterns that they learned in their early family lives that DIDN'T work and are creative in their ideas about what they want to do differently.

10) I'm too busy! As with most mental health professionals, the demand for service far outweighs the time and resources I have to see people.

11) Be prepared for a lot of schooling and a lot of loans. Learn to take good care of yourself outside of work because the work can be draining and tiring. Get really good at setting boundaries around your work life so that you can put aside work issues when you're at home with family. Find a good supervisor!

12) not really.

13) I think that some of the early psychoanalytic stuff is a bit off-base- not so much in theory, but in practice as few people have the time or financial resources for the kind of daily, in-depth exploration of minutia that early psychoanalytic theorists espoused.

Good luck on your paper- I hope this is helpful!