Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My son has schizophrenia he is only 18 is it a common practice

My son has schizophrenia he is only 18 is it a common practice to use haldol and fazaclo this early in his illness
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, i am really sorry to know about your son's diagnosis of schizophrenia , I hope and wish that he is one of those one third schizophrenic patients who undergo remission ( symptom free), but having said that you and your family members need to take extra effort in giving him the care and affection which he deserves ,and i need to mention it here as the care takers are the real sufferers in this condition as the patient would be in his own world , far away from reality , so it is upto the care takers to look after the patient's welfare , hygeine, etc.

Now, coming to your question about the use of Haldol (haloperidol) and fazaclo (clozapin) this early in your son's condition , who is just 18 years, well , to this my answer is that , haldol and fazaclo , both are anti psychotics , and although the use of anti psychotics is inferentially essential in schizophrenia in order to control and prevent psychoses, but, i am bothered about the use of two anti psychotics at the same time by your doctor , which should not have been the case , as the protocol is to start with 1 anti psychotic , be it haldol, or olanzapine, or risperidone , and in addition one may add an anti depressant such as effexor xr or paxil to control the depressive and anxiety symptoms which occur commonly in schizophrenia.Also, clozapine is not to be used as the first line anti psychotics in schizophrenia , it is basically reserved for treatment resistant schizophrenia or psychoses.

So, i suggest that you ask your doctor to remove clozapine and keep your son on 1 anti psychotic only which may either be haldol or an atypical anti psychotic such as risperidone, olanzapine . Also , if the need arises then also ask your doctor to give your son some anti depresants to assist anti psychotics.

I wish your son rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry