Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I always thought I was weird because I would eat like a horse

I always thought I was weird because I would eat like a horse a couple times a week. It was an unbearable craving that I could not fill. I just discovered that this is the most common "eating disorder" in America. I am disturbed that this is considered an eating disorder. What is the best approach for me to fix this disorder? Food offers me comfort and even if I am not really stressed I will look for something to worry about to rationalize my eating. I used to be a size one and now I am back up to a size eight and I am getting depressed and the eating is getting worse!

It really sounds like you're making a great effort to eat well and take care of yourself!

I think that the kind of binge eating that you were doing in the past could be representative of a Binge Eating Disorder, which, as you mentioned, is extremely common. There are lots of different kinds of treatments for Binge Eating Disorder including: individual therapy, group therapy/support groups, and medication.

In individual therapy, you and the psychologist would likely focus on issues such as the emotional reasons behind your eating, ways to cope with these emotions in ways other than eating, etc.

In a support group or group therapy treatment, you would likely talk about the same kinds of issues but would be doing so amongst others dealing with the same things. Most support groups are facilitated by a psychologist to help people stay on topic and to make sure that everyone's needs are addressed.

Some people with binge eating disorder get help from antidepressant medications such as Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. These medications can help minimize the depressive feelings that often lead to binge eating.