Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

Can you please tell me how SSRI works and where i can purchase

Customer Question

Can you please tell me how SSRI works and where i can purchase it from?, thankyou, weeny 54
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

SSRI medications work by increasing the amount of serotonin available at neuron synapses. Since serotonin affects mood (in very complicated ways), having more of it available in the brain allows for improved mood and reduction in symptoms of depression.

Usually one needs a prescription from a GP or a psychiatrist in order to get SSRI medication. Once you have this prescription, you can pick up the medication at a local pharmacy. I don't know how this system works in the UK or if it differs from the way it works in the US, but in the US this is the process.