Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I have been transitioned to Prozac from Cymbalta from a loss

Customer Question

I have been transitioned to Prozac from Cymbalta from a loss of insurance.   My depression has mostly stemmed from a chemical inbalance. It is as bad right now as it ever has been. Is there something cheeper that is much stronger that can help me. I am currently unemployed and at home so if it some side effects I should be OK. Staying like this is not OK.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Oh, Dear, it sounds like your stress level is sky high. I know of nothing cheaper than the generic Prozac. You may want to ask about Effexor (Venlafaxine) which is stronger, but more expensive.

You don't say what your dosage is, but you can take up to 80 mg of Prozac with your doctor's approval. I would try a higher dose of the Prozac.

You also need to get as much exercise as you can, and try to think as positively as you can. You will get through this. Losing a home is terrible but there is no need to let it destroy your life.

Warmest regards,
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for your answer. I am on 100mg of Prozac and was on 120 of Cymbalta. I can't get a doctor to call me back and I feel like I'm losing my mind. My husband doesn't understand and just gets angry with me. What dosage of Effexor is there?
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

This is Dr Wu. I have been asked to assit you with your question. The starting dose of Effexor is 75mg. However, since you are on a very high dose of prozac, you will likely need at least 140-180mg/day of Effexor ( 20mg of prozac= 74mg of effexor). Since both medications belong to the same category of antidepressants( SSRI), it is safe to switch from prozac to effexor without first tapering off the prozac. However, the switching should be carefully monitored by your doctor, as withdrawal symptoms can still occur. One month supply of Effexor will cost you about 90-100dollars.

I hope this is helpful to you.