Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Thank you for your advice Dr Kaushik. I am going to see how

Thank you for your advice Dr Kaushik. I am going to see how i go for the next few weeks, but i agree that duloxetine may be a good option if it is my depression coming back. As to the suggestion re switching to valproate or lithium; I was on depakote for 3 years and put on 6 stone which is why i asked the doctor to change my mood stabiiser. I am also wary about the lithium for the very same reason. It terrifies me to make med changes. If my depression does not lift, I shall definitely try the duloxetine. However, one of the side effects is liver injury. I hardly ever drink these days, but occasionally will have a couple of small glasses of wine if out with friends. I know that i seem to perhaps dwell on the side effects of meds (i am an ex nurse). I just want to take the safest combination without these distressing side effects. I have had TERRIBLE time coming off seroxat in the past and although effexor was brilliant, it caused an increase in blood pressure and was probrably quite activating. It is such a pity because i was so well for three years on depakote and effexor but stupidly cut back (myself) to half dose of depakote due to excessive weight gain. I am getting myself into such a wretched state. Any other possible suggestions as to alternative combos. I do certainly respect your answer. Would it be worth staying on lamictal to see if these aches improve? Its just that this drug has the most benign side effect otherwise.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome back !

Well, your concerns are justified in every sense . Yes , lithium and valproate may cause weight gain, and your apprehension is well conceded, but since you had mentioned that the muscle aches are having a toll on you and depression has again come back , so the only logical reason behind this all , was to change the precipitator that is Lamictal .

However, if you are so apprehensive about using Lithium or valproate , then do not worry we have other options as well , such as Carbamazepine , or the newest mood stabilizer , with the least side effects called as Oxcarbazepine , these two do not cause weight gain, so i propose you may opt for any of these 2 drugs , but i would suggest that you do this change in the presence of your doctor , and not when you are on a holiday , as although we do not expect any untoward side effects of these drugs , but , protocol says that any change in psychiatry drugs need to be done afer discussion with your doctor and in his/ her presence.

As far as duloxetine causing liver injury , well you are quite right in pointing out that , but , for this to happen one should be taking this drug for several years , which was never and will never be a case in your scenario , as we tend to keep you on this drug for 6-8 months and then taper it off , and finally stopping it . So, there is no need to be apprehensive about it's use, although being knowledgeable and cautious is always good. Also, the withdrawl symptoms of duloxetine , you are talking about , happen with all the SSRIs , BUT ,there is a way to prevent it , and that is never to stop an SSRI SUCH AS DULOXETINE, FLUOXETINE, PAROXETINE , SERTRALINE , ETC abruptly , out of sudden , these drugs need to be tapered slowly over a period of few weeks , before finally stopping it, and in this case there will no withdrawl symptoms. Also, having a drink occasionally would not do any harm , so do not take tension about it .Being a care giver yourself , i presume you would appreciate this point all the more.

However, i like to give patients options , so that they go home satisfied and without apprehension , so again , if you are apprehensive about taking duloxetine , then you may opt for an SNRI , called as Milnacipran , although it belongs to the same class to which effexor ( venlafaxine) belongs to , but it is a newer drug with least side effects and equal efficacy as effexor. So, you ,may start taking it , instead.

So, the new options for are ---

1)Carbamazepine or Oxcarazepine --- as a mood stabilizer , for replacing lamictal , these do not cause weight gain.

2)Milnacipran , anti depressant -- in place of duloxetine , if at all you still decide against the use of it.

So, i suggest you discuss the above mentioned drugs with your doctor first and do not start them on your own , as waiting for some more time would not cause any harm , but infact , it will only provide you with the best possible treatment option.

I wish you best of health and enjoy your trip , it definitely will act as a destressor.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards....

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry