Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Looking for residential housing for male 24 with both schizophrenia

Customer Question

Looking for residential housing for male 24 with both schizophrenia and substance abuse in New York city/ place to call for information?

He was also rejected from the Pathways for Housing Inc. with no explaination

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.
Hello:

Sorry to disappoint you, but we are not allowed to make referrals. One of the things I noticed in your question is that this man was in a rehab but walked out.

No place will keep him against his will unless he is a danger to himself or others. That means he must be actively suicidal or homicidal. If he wants to walk out, he can do so, and unfortunately, he has the right in this country to live on the street if he wants to. Makes no sense, but that is the law.

I can only imagine how horrifying this is to you, knowing that he will not accept help. Usually the best place to get referrals is from the intake or admissions department of the local mental hospital. My suggestion is to call and ask them for referrals for a person with this type of issue, which is called "dual disorder." There are places that will take him.

Best of luck to you, and warmest regards,