Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I am 54 years old and suffer with severe and i mean severe

Customer Question

I am 54 years old and suffer with severe and i mean severe ocd, i have looked into this on the internet and have possibly put it down to a seratonin defect, is this possible? and if so can 5HTP help me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

Most experts would say that anxiety such as you describe is due to a lack of normal levels of serotonin in the brain.

5HTP is an alternative medication found in health food stores, and thus is not regulated by the FDA. I believe there has not been enough research to establish whether or not it works.

You may wish to consider an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) to deal with the OCD.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Warmest regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Carol, thankyou for your answer, could you please tell me how SSRI works and where i may purchase this, thankyou, weeny 54
An SSRI needs a prescription.   It works by preventing the reuptake (loss) in the brain of serotonin, thus boosting the serotonin levels in the brain. SSRIs are quite safe and effective. An example of an SSRI is Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Cipralex, Cipramil. If you are looking for an alternative medication, some people find St. John's Wort to be helpful, but if you have severe OCD, I would not recommend it.

Let me know if you have further questions.