Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Withdrawing from Effexor

I am withdrawing from Effexor. I am not real sure why my doctor wanted me to get off the Effexor. I have just begun going down from a 75 mg dosage to a 37.5 mg dosage. Third day. I feel pretty crappy--brain zaps, diarrhea, hives, tears, anger. I this is pretty normal from what I have read online. My doctor gave me a week of the 37.5 dosage and then cold turkey. She is an general internist and I am a new patient. (The doctor who prescribed these moved--I had to finding a new physician.) I am overweight, and generally, have found that physicians pretty well don't listen when overweight people question them. I am concerned about questioning her. It seems, however, from what I've read that this may be a pretty fast withdrawal scheme. I don't want to alienate this physician but I really am concerned about the withdrawal effects. On the other hand, if it is reasonable, I would just as soon stick it out and do this as quickly as possible. What do you think?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, i can sense the discomfort you are feeling as of now, and that as you would know now , are the withdrawl symptoms , which are quite normal to occur , and would go away in 1-2 weeks time.

Now, as far as your concern with the fact that whether your doctor tapered the dose too quickly , i would say to this, that one needs to taper it over a period of 2-3 weeks before eventually stopping the drug, if that is what you are aiming at , as your doctor reuced the dose from 75 mg to 37.5 mg over a week's time , it is fairly normal tactic employed by her , and i do not think she is being over zealous in her treatment , but if you are so much in discomfort , then i will suggest you to ask your doctor to put you on a single daily dose of fluoxetine 20 mg , as it will relieve your withdrawl symptoms somewhat and help in further tapering if at all that 's what your doctor wants to do, plus , fluoxetine is easy to taper without causing much side effects .

Please do not think that since you are over weight , the doctor of yours would not listen to you , i can understand , you may be saying this from your past experience , but personally i am strictly against such attitude from the caregivers , but , after all doctor are also human beings and may have their own unreasonable prejudices in life , BUT , IF SUCH IS A CASE WITH THE CURRENT DOCTOR OF YOURS , THEN YOU HAVE FULL RIGHT TO EXPRESS YOUR DISCONTENT TO HER AND TO REPORT THIS TO THE BOARD OF PHYSICIAN ., as practicing in this way is strictly against the oath one take as a doctor and is highly unprofessional.

You have the full right to suggest , discuss , seek explanation from from your doctor and it is the duty of your doctor to comply with this , so i would suggest that if you can be patient for 1 more week , then you will definitely feel much relieved of your withdrawl symptoms of effexor , but if your discomfort is unbearable then i suggest that you talk about this with your doctor without any apprehension and ask her to place you on fluoxetine during this period of withdrawl .

I wish you rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That really is helpful. She only put me on the lower dosage (37.5) for one week before stopping all together. I really do think 2 to 3 weeks at the lower dosage makes more sense before stopping completely might be better. Good info about the fluoxetine.

I will give her a call about the additional two weeks on the lower dosage. I am going to wait a couple of days so I am managing the symptoms a bit better.

Many thanks!

Thanks for the accept and the bonus!

Well, you do call her and discuss what we have discussed here, i am sure things will work out .

I wish you best of health .

Regards...