Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I suffer from moderate anxiety problems and was prescribed

I suffer from moderate anxiety problems and was prescribed xanax by my family physician, .05 mg 1 time a day. Recently I was givien a random drug test and no xanax showed up in my system. I did miss 3 days prior to the drug test due to being out of town, but now my doctor will not write my prescription anymore stating that it would still be in my system if I were actually taking it. He acts as if I am selling it or something. Now this has just added to my anxiety, the thought that my doctor thinks I'm a drug dealer. What do I do?

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

Well, i am really sorry to know about your present scenario, i believe your doctor is just over reacting, as .05 mg xanax , though can cause addiction and abuse , but is too low a dose that can be used to peddle , plus your doctor perfectly knows that you suffer from anxiety , and such a person who is having anxiety will like to do anyting to keep off from the horrible feeling, and this idea of peddling the drug will never cross the patient's mind.

However, i suggest that you once again try and coax your doctor to give you prescription ,as this was an honest mistake and also make him realize that you need his help ,and the reason which you cited was quite reasonable . But, if he does not give in to your request , then it does not leave you any other option but to seek help from another doctor , as xanax , being a benzodiazapine , cannot be sold over the counter because of its tendency for abuse.

Also, i would suggest that , it will be better for you to seek help from a psychologist and get started on Psychotherapy ( counseling) for your anxiety disorder. The best psychotherapy for an anxiety disorder is Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT), it is a short course therapy , will take place in form of 1 hr session , once a week, and can be altered according to your convenience , as you said that the nearest psychologist is 2 hrs away, but the positive outcome will be , that you can entirely give up the use of anti anxiety drugs , as you have moderate anxiety , for which CBT is as effective a treatment as drug therapy.

I wish you best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...

Carol Kryder LMFT : Hello:
Carol Kryder LMFT : I have just read your question, and you might want to cut your doctor some slack. Xanax is a very powerful benzodiazepine, and quite addictive. It is only to be prescribed for short term use.Please ask your doctor for an antidepressant which also addresses anxiety, such as Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro or Pristiq. Any of those medications will address your anxiety without having the addiction problem.Warm regards,
Carol Kryder LMFT : Are you there?
:

I've tried Zoloft and Lexapro, but they did not seem to help.

:

Why wouldn't the meds show up on the drug test? I feel like my doctor doesn't trust me now.

Carol Kryder LMFT : Well, .5 of Xanax is not the highest dose. You may not have had enough in your system to reach the cutoff point for that particular test.   I can also think of another idea; maybe they didn't test for benzodiazepines. If you feel your doctor doesn't trust you and you have talked to him about it, I would try to find another doctor.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience