Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

My daughter is getting divorced from a man that is dating a

My daughter is getting divorced from a man that is dating a young adult, 23 I believe, who has the most terrible scars my daughter has ever seen on her arms from "cutting herself". She does not try to hide them, it's like she's proud of them. My daughter is concerned that whatever has caused her to do this might be a danger to my daughter's son. My daughter has stated that she does not want this woman near her child. Her soon to be EX seems to be in denial and oblivious to any possible danger. What kind of advice can I give my daughter and educate her EX on this disorder. I love my grandson and would never forgive myself if I didn't do something to protect him.
Hello:

You are describing a kind of self-harm which is called "cutting behavior" or "self injury" or "self mutilation." It is usually a symptom of deep psychological pain, and most often engaged in by young women with poor coping skills. There is a wonderful website which explains this:

http://www.self-harm.com/ or   

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/self-injury/DS00775

If you are worried about your grandson, it is extremely unlikely that she would harm him. However, since she has emotional issues of her own, she would not be the best influence on him.

Warmest regards,