Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I have a blushing problem occurs strongly in meetings at work,

Customer Question

I have a blushing problem occurs strongly in meetings at work, dinnertime and on occasions even on 1 to 1 with people I even get on with, occurs all the more when im doing the talking or being looked upon by several people or while im trying to concentrate on something even to my surprise when i actually feel pretty confident. Is there a cure prevention what are the options, is it a waste of time going to my doctors, I really have had enough
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Usually this kind of blushing occurs due to social anxiety. Especially where you notice that it is most prevalent when you're the one talking, it might be the case for you although it's a bit perplexing that you inwardly feel confident. Do you worry about what others are thinking of you while you're talking? If it is social anxiety, it can be managed through relaxation exercises, therapy and/or medication, among other things.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

'inwardly confident' (lately I was told I was blushing when I thought I had the situation under control) I guess Im not, its just I try so hard.

I do worry get anxious about what people are thinking whilst I talk and continually worry im about to go red or am I already red, then find it hard to concentrate and maybe debate get my points across, meanwhile I have gone red get even more embarrassed then I feel even worse because work collegues notice and wondering what the Hell s wrong with him. This happens when I'm in groups or with certain superiors.. its like a bit of blushing due to some form of shyness, social phobia from when I was young has become a phobia, I come across odd articles about pushing yourself into situations rather than avoiding but seem to come out worse

So what succesful treatment could I go for and from who, what medication should I go to my doctor, what ideas could I query with my doctor

Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.

I would suggest that you seek out a psychologist who specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). This is a form of therapy that is usually short-term and focuses on changing negative thought patterns that lead to a problematic behavior (or, in your case, bodily reaction).

If you wanted to try a medication to help with social anxiety/phobia, I would recommend that you see a psychiatrist for this. He/she will likely prescribe you a SSRI medication (such as Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa, etc.).

You can always do both things- therapy and medication. In either case, the doctor you see will do a thorough assessment of your symptoms (to rule out anything else) and then come up with a treatment plan for you based on what you determine. Social anxiety is very common and frequently treated successfully.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

when im in the situation its like fight or flight experience, would beta blockers be a solution or are ssri s better Thanks for your help I will pay when you answer me this Cheers

Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
Beta blockers are sometimes used for situations that cause anxiety but will be over fairly quickly- for example, giving a speech. To my knowledge, they are not generally used for a more pervasive type of anxiety.
Lively, Psychologist
Experience: Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thankyou for your help Im making an appointment to see my Doctor and get this little problem sorted