Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

can a person who itches make others next to them itch as well

Customer Question

can a person who itches make others next to them itch as well? crazy question I know but Several years ago I felt like I had bugs crawling on me, and I noticed that people around me always seemed to itch. I finally went to the doctor and she put me on lexapro. Well it worked but now it's happening again. I went to the doctor and increased my lexapro dose but it's still not working what should I take now that will help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Hello:

There does seem to be something suggestive about itching and yawning. Have you ever noticed that when one person yawns, others are more likely to do so? It is the same with itching. I am also noticing that you are having obsessive thoughts about this.

My impression is that the Lexapro is not working for you anymore, in spite of the high dose you are taking. That happens sometimes, especially if you stopped it and started again. Ask your doctor for something else. Zoloft, Effexor, Pristiq are drugs I would ask about.

Warmest regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I get the yawn idea but the problem is when I said that I am really not itching any more I am not but the people around me are and I am not itching they are. the part that really has me nervous is that I ride on a van pool and everyday I notice the scraching that the people are doing that are close to me. Finally one person said something about him always itching when he gets in the van. I sit right behind him. So this week I decided not to ride the van but I am nervous that they are going to realize that the itching stopped the week I was not on the van. Could it be something else?
Hello again:

I think it is time you took a look at how much time you are spending worrying about this. Let's say it is you who is making the other riders in the van itch. Let's say that no one itched the day you did not ride on the van. Even if they start itching again when you ride the van again, it is only circumstantial evidence. Nothing has been proved that you are the cause of this. There could be allergens on the van itself that are impacting some of the riders.

Truly, I do not think it is you that is making them itch. Anxiety and anxious thoughts are like a bonfire. The more you feed them the larger and scarier they get. When you get back on the van, notice the people who are not itching. Sit in a different seat and watch to see if those people near you itch. Also watch the other man to see if he itches even when you are not there. I think you will find that there is no relationship to your presence on the van and itching of the other passengers.

Please consider seeing your doctor for a change in medication. I am concerned that your obsessive thoughts about this are negatively impacting your quality of life.

Warmest regards,