Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

nartistic

Customer Question

nartistic
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.
Hello:

If this person has a Narcissistic Personality Disorder he sees the world as revolving around him. It is all about what he wants and what he thinks. He views the environment in relationship to himself with little or no regard for the needs of others.

There is a book called STOP WALKING ON EGGSHELLS, by Paul Mason, which talks about Borderline Personality Disorder, but gives many good ideas for how to manage a person with a personality disorder.

Good Luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I had already ordered this book and await its delivery ...however we are intrigued as to the new game this appeared to have taken and wanted clarification in its purpose /objective and how to handle it professionally

kind regards

It is difficult to sort out what is happening with this employee. His sudden and uncharacteristic change in attitude does suggest some type of manipulation and you are correct in questioning it. My suggestion is to wait and watch to see what his goal is.

If he is truly narcissistic he will not be able to maintain this selfless and empathic stance for long. I would be polite, listen, watch and wait, and my belief is that he will "show his hand" before long.

It may be in the form of asking a special favor from you, or asking for a special role in the company. The only thing I can guarantee is that the goal will be something that will give him extra recognition, or something that will allow other employees to see him as "special." It is very important for him to stand out from the crowd, so he will manipulate others in order to get something special or highly prized for himself. Does that make sense?

Best wishes to you