Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

I lost my son on Christmas Day, I have since started to feel

I lost my son on Christmas Day, I have since started to feel very light headed a lot of the time, feeling a little detached from reality and worrying about everything, always thinking the worst and thinking I have something serious wrong with me. I have been to the doctors and they have done blood test and checked my blood pressure, pulse etc - found nothing wrong but I am still worried. Could this be part of the grief process, maybe anxiety/depression or should I seek further help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Yes, the symptoms you are experiencing could be due to anxiety/depression elicited by grieving. While it is normal to experience some of this during the grief process, if it goes on (consistently) for longer than a few months, worsens, and/or dramatically interferes with your ability to attend to your day to day life, it is important that you seek professional help. Certainly if you have thoughts of suicide, it is also important to seek help right away.

Many times a normal grief process can turn into a longer-standing depression, so it might be useful to monitor your symptoms closely and/or enlist the help of a friend or family member to tell you if they see things getting worse for you.

Some people find it helpful to seek counseling and/or a support group during grieving so as to have an outlet and a place to let out whatever emotions come up. Having this kind of outlet might help relieve some of your anxiety symptoms- usually anxiety occurs when we hold in emotions, so letting them out in a safe place/way might help.

Lively, Psychologist
Experience: Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response, I have had no feelings of self hate or wanting to die - I just worry that I have something serious wrong with me. I am a worrier naturally but it seems to be more prominent since the loss of my son. I do talk about how I feel to try and reassure myself - I just scared of what I am feeling at times - I am sure if there was anything wrong my doctor would have found it in my blood results and he has checked me for pulse and blood pressure etc. I have a low blood pressure normally. I have only experience the light headedness for about a month and a half and it comes in waves. PLus I am not working at the moment so I have a lot of time on my hands to think silly things - get myself even more worked up which I suppose in turn causes anxiety which then makes me feel light headed. Going round in circles it seems.