Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified in family medicine.
4968719

my friend has hep C and we r waiting for results of a ct scan

my friend has hep C and we r waiting for results of a ct scan w/ contrast for possible pulmonary fibrosis. I forgot to tell the other DR that he is also diagnosed as skitzo-effective. He is on a few psyc drugs such as Neurotin, visteral, trazadone, seroquel, prolixin. Will these drugs make him unable to treat at all. He said that the treatment for PF would exasperate the hep c, how does this enter into the equation if you will?

Hi JayCoulboum,

Thank you for submitting your question. Your friend has a difficult situation here. The treatment for pulmonary fibrosis involves drugs that are toxic to the liver. Depending on his HepC viral titer and liver enzyme levels, he may have serious side effects from the treatment.

As you probably know, many drugs are metabolized by the liver. If his liver functions worsen, he may not be able to tolerate his psychiatric medications. He will also be given steroid as part of the PF treatment. Steroids are known to cause psychosis.

The key is how bad his Hep C is. He may be able to tolerate the treatment if his liver is still in good shape.

I hope this answers your question.