Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My daughter is 33 years old and has had a mental health problem

My daughter is 33 years old and has had a mental health problem for quite a few years, she has been stable now for 3 years she has also been on a depot injection once a fortnight, we have had a meeting with a phsyciatric doctor and nurse because my daughter would like to have a baby, i believe we got a very bias information can you tell me if she can contiue with the medication in order to have a baby
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, a very valid and important question has been raised by you , as use of psychiatry medications during pregnancy needs to be addressed to all those women who are placed on any form of psychiatry medications be it anti psychotics or anti depressants or mood stabilizers for that matter. Let me make you aware of the fact that almost all Psychiatry medications need to be discontinued during pregnancy , atleast , for the 1st trimester ( first 3 months of pregnancy) , AS Psychiatry medications ( almost all of them) are TERATOGENIC , that is they can cause fetal abnormalities such as cleft palate, cleft lip, etc , if continued to be used during pregnancy , and the risk is maximum during the first trimester. But , if you ask me , genuinely i feel if one is planning for pregnancy, then , one should stop all the psychiatry medications throughout the pregnancy , in fact ,their use during breast feeding is discouraged as well ,as they are secreted in mother's milk and so can go into the body of the baby and cause harm.So, the option for baby feeding , is that the baby needs to be Top fed.

So, being a mental health expert , i would strongly suggest that if your daughter is planning for pregnancy than she should stop her psychiatry medications including the depot injections and also discuss the same with her Gynaecologist and psychiatrist .I do not know how would you react to this information, but , i have laid out some hard facts , which can be cross checked , you may search it on net as well ,if you may please, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is , use of psychiatry medications is strict NO , DURING PREGNANCY.

I wish your daughter good health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

if she stopped her medication there would be a danger of her relapse, have you known any client who has continued with medication whilst pregnant.

my daughter suffered from hearing voices can't spell the proper diagnosis.

Hi there,

Well, i would like to suggest you that , your daughter first needs to become Symptom free , as in , she needs to be free from any complaints , and has been stable for atleast 6-12 months , and then she can think of pregnancy. As far as her diagnosis is concerned, i believe you are talking about Schizophrenia , and for this condition anti psychotic drugs and mood stabilizers are the mainstay of treatment ,and both these group of drugs are teratogenic ,as explained by me earlier.

You have talked about relapse, yes there is a possibility of relapse of her illness , if drugs are stopped , but , if they are not stopped , we will be putting the future baby at risk for contacting fetal abnormality , and believe me that would not be appreciable neither by you nor by your daughter. At the most, what we can do is , we can stop her drugs for atleast 1st trimester ,and then start her on maintenance dose of the drugs , but still , no one would take gaurantee that the baby born will be 100 percent free from any abnormality, but yes there will be a good chance that the baby will be healthy. But, please , take my advice , and let your daughter be on the treatment for atleast 6 months and let her to be symptom free before planning pregnancy.

I have laid out to you the various options available to you , now , i can only wish you take the right decision,putting all the possibilities into proper perspective.

Regards...