Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

My son is an adult and suffered from a bi-polar psychotic episode

Customer Question

My son is an adult and suffered from a bi-polar psychotic episode about 15 years ago. He was drinking at the time and, from what I've understood, the two sort of go together. He recovered after his hospitalization and Navane. He's been a different person for the last three years. NO drinking, AA, etc. But for the last six months, I have seen him depressed for the first time. He no longer showers every morning, washes his hair every day and spends most of his day in front of the computer. I'm very, very worried about him. He has a psychiatrist and I'm going to see her Saturday. My son is on Seroquel, Effxor, and Xypresa for his depression. The Seroquel makes him sleepy the next day and I think he sleeps too much. I don't really know what to do - he's no psychotic as he was in his manic stage. He is just depressed, sad, and doesn't do much at all. Not long ago, he became a different person. He laughed, was funny, and we did many wonderful things where we live: St. Augstine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hello:

It definitely sounds like your son is falling into a depressive state. Some of the medications he is taking may make him more lethargic and sleepy (Seroquel and Zyprexa). If you are sure he is not drinking, I would call the psychiatrist before Saturday - don't wait - and report these symptoms. He needs a medication adjustment. Good luck.