Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have a drug test tomorrow and I am legally prescribed 1mg

I have a drug test tomorrow and I am legally prescribed 1mg a day of klonopin at bedtime. I would like to know if this could affect my chance of employment?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, klonopin (clonazepam) , belong to benzodiazepine group of drugs , and is used as an anti convulsant ( seizure/fits), an anti anxiety drug ( generalized anxiety , panic attack, OCD , depression) , as a muscle relaxant and as a sedative for insomnia. But , like other benzodiazepines , it is easily and readily abused , and here comes the catch , that is , here comes the problem , as some of the side effects of klonopin are Drowsiness , impairment of thought process and judgment , impaired coordination impaired balance ,dizziness , so , these kind of side effects are enough for someone on klonopin to be termed as unfit for a job requiring attention and presence of mind as well physical endurance .

Well, i do not mean to discourage you by telling these hard facts about the drug you are placed on , but infact , i want you to know them , so that tomorrow , in the interview you go well prepared and present your case very well , as i believe , you should know the side effects of this drug , so that you can refute (discourage) any argument or comment , and tell the interviewer IF at ALL THEY ASK , that you do not suffer from any such symptoms and so are fully fit for the Job.

Also , another thing that is in favour for you is , that you have been legally prescribed this drug , so the question of Abuse does not arise in the first place.

Plus , 1 mg of klonopin/day , is a very normal dose, and more so , it is taken at night , and since , it is usually effective for 8-10 hrs , so by the time it is morning , you have got no substancial effect of it , and you can do your work effeciently without having any side effects of it. But, yes in the test tomorrow, traces of klonopin may be found out, but be confident and honest , place the reason before the interviewers and also tell the positive suportive facts that i have mentioned above , indicating towards no untoward or harmful effect on you.

I wish you Best of Luck , please be confident and do not feel that taking klonopin would be a setback ,as all things are going with you such as legal prescription, no chance of abuse, no side effects , good pysical and mental health , very normal dose of klonopin which is commonly given to so many people , but still they function effeciently , in fact better ..

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for that answer. Am I allowed to ask another question?
Oh yes . please go ahead ..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am on effexor also and I just took one of those at home drug tests and it came back positive for pcp. I have done extensive research on the internet and have found many stories about effexor giving a false positive for pcp. Is there any medical proof or documentation to back this up. Because I need this job really bad and I cannot have anything go wrong. I want to be prepared for anything.

Hi there,

Well, effexor may give false positive for pcp , as all these tests are sensitivity tests and are not confirmatory ,but as far as any medical proof / documentation is concerned , i am sorry i am not aware of any such thing.

But, you know what , we have just been assisted by Doc Harrison , and he said that , as long as you are having a legal prescription for a drug , then even if you test positive for that drug , but the test would be considered a Negative Test , and no further explanation is to be given and the employer cannot take any further actions against such a negative test. So,since you have a prescription for Klonopin AND I PRESUME , also for effexor , so just go to the interview taking that prescription and present that prescription to the employers ,and your test result for these two drugs will be considered Negative ,irrespective of the presence of drugs.

So, relax and go to the interview without taking any tension, just carry your prescription along wih you.

I hope this answer is of some help to you.

Regards....

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much.