Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I used your service for this problem a couple weeks ago. Since

I used your service for this problem a couple weeks ago. Since that time I have seen my Psychologist and, as usual I felt like he wasn't really "getting it." I have been in therapy with him for 13 years (depression & PTSD) and, sometimes I think because he has seen me through so much he thinks I am stronger than I am. I started out 2008 feeling really good. Then I decided to buy a home and that process just seemed to kick my butt. I have now moved but can't seem to figure out why I feel so disconnected from everything. I think about dying ever day because I just have this feeling that my life is finished. I don't know how else to explain it. Even doing things like helping others (getting out of myself) is not working. I am so scared because I feel like something happened to me mentally during the summer I cannot fix by me changing my behavior or thinking etc. I feel so lost because I can't seem to make my Ph.D understand this is different. Meanwhile, I'm struggling.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Hello:

You are saying that you have seen this psychologist for many yeatrs and you do not believe he really understands you. The basis for any healing and therapeutic alliance is that you feel understood. If you don't feel understood, nothing good will happen in the therapy.

You need to discuss this honestly and frankly with your therapist. Tell him or her specifically that you do not feel understood and why. If he/she continues to treat this latest episode just like all the others and if you think it is different you may need to find another therapist. It may be a good idea for you to get another opinion in any case. A fresh look at your situation might do you a world of good. You may also need to get another consult on medication, since the ones you have tried are not helping.

Please do not give up. Take control of your therapy and insist on getting what you need. Be assertive. You will be happy you did.

Best of luck to you.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience