Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I have ADD. (runs in my family), however my issue is visual

Customer Question

I have ADD. (runs in my family), however my issue is visual and audio distraction. I currently am working in a loud environment with frequent interuptions which I have previously never been in. I need something to work with the these issues. Stratera and concerta do not seem to do the trick. Is there something specifically which address visual and audio ADD??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hello:

If you have ADD and have been taking medication for ADD, you will come under the Federal ADA protection. You can contact HR and inform them of your disability ADD and that you cannot tolerate visual and audio distrations. They will try to make reasonable accommodations.

If you don't want to ask for ADA protection, you may be able to ask for a quiet corner of the office to work in, play some soft music at your desk, or use an Ipod, unless you must answer the phone frequently.

If you cannot get accommodations, and the music doesn't help you may need to look elsewhere for employment.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have questions about anything I have said.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the information, however I need the name of a med which addresses audio and visual distractions with ADD. Is there one specific for that?

Concerta and straterra tried. I have an appointment at doctor tomorrow.