Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

my info-57 yr old RN. 55/232lb. in excellent health. peds

Customer Question

my info-57 yr old RN. 5'5''/232lb. in excellent health. peds nurse for kids c vents/g buttons/etc. in menopause past 2-3 yrs. my only s/s --a slight increase in disordered thinking. endocrine workup 2-3 yrs ago =normal. do not feel depressed. MY GOAL-- function more effectively, be more organized, lose wt,obssess less over my wt and do not want to gain wt on any meds! overeaters anonymous helps me --for support and accountability.meds that i tried were 10-15 yrs ago. generally, ALL drugs do not seem to effect me much. my late husband, a psychiatrist, said i was mildly ADD, and very mildly BPD, but had good mental health. my psych tests showed that i wasn't OCD, but impulsive. he tried several SSRI's on me, without results-12 yrs ago [said i was not clinically depressed.] the highest dose of wellbutrin seemed to help very slightly. couldn't tell if stratera helped my thinking. we were both trying to lose weight and become more organized in our life and thinking-still my goal!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

From your post did you intend to ask solution for a) disordered thinking , lack of focus and concentration, and b) your obession with your weight . Is this what you intend to ask. Kindly clarify , and help me find a solution for your problem..

And i did not see it earlier , but please tell me if you want me to continue or you would want Neurodoc to address your problem....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i believe that neurodoc had the type of training/experience with psychotropics/ADDdrugs that i need.

it could be that i need 2 meds: one for increased focus --to help the slight ADD problem., and lack of organization.

and an antidepressant for the eating/weight problem.

my MD friend --who is a specialist in eating disorders--- uses the highest doses of SSRI's to help women with weight issues, she has used them for as long as they have been in use. But they did not help me at all, when used 10-15 yrs ago.

did i say that my psychological tests showed that i was not OCD, but impulsive? thank you for all of your help and concern. i have needed to address these problems for some time now!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Hi there,

Well, i thought you wanted another expert to answer your question, that is why i opted out . However, i think , Neurodoc1 is not available online , so i shall try to help you out with your problem.

Since , you have difficulty in having organized thinking , and have poor concentration and focus and want to have a better effeciency at work, I would suggest you get started on ADDERALL XR   ( that is,exteneded release , with prolonged duration of action, and works throughout the day). Adderall ( Amphetamines) is a Psychostimulant , better than non stimulant drug like strattera (atomoxetine) and is used worldwide for the treatment of ADD and would suit you just fine. PLUS , BEING an Amphetamine , Adderall will have a double positive effect in your case ,as it is also Judiciously used for reducing weight and is a favoured drug for treating obesity in practice.

Now , coming to your obsession with your weight, once you get started on adderall, which would help in reducing your weight and eventually allay some obsession, But , we need to start you on SNRI Anti depressants such as EFFEXOR XR or MILNACIPRAN , rather than using SSRIS all over again , which have been used in your case n number of times , with little effect and also one of the side effects of SSRIs is that they cause weight gain and disordered appetite. Also, besides , controlling obsession, SNRIs also are effectively used in the treatment of ADD.

So, you see, starting on ADDERALL XR and EFFEXOR XR ,would be a very good combination for treating your present symptoms and they will suit you just fine.Also, since both of them are extended release tablets , once a daily dose , would be more than enough to allay the symptoms and bring a positive effect .

So, i suggest , before getting started on the above mentioned drugs , please discuss with your doctor their dosages , and since you are going to use them once a day , they would keep up your compliance, as well.

I wish you good health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.