Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I was on cymbalta 60 mg for about a year and a half. I weened

I was on cymbalta 60 mg for about a year and a half. I weened myself down to 30 mg for about 3 months and then I stopped the med cold turkey. I lasted about 5 days until I became so dizzy I thought I would faint. I went back on the med at 20 mg. and have had 2 doses. Today I feel dizzy, have a terrible pounding headache, emotional and somewhat cloudy maybe light headed? Is this normal and should I continue to taper my dose or just stop the medication and deal with the withdrawal? I have a psych appt but not for 8 more days..PLEASE HELP! I am also experiencing severe bouts of irritation and a hard time concentrating.. I didn't sleep much last night due to the tremors and sweating i was experiencing..i just want to feel normal again and right now feel at a TOTAL loss..If i need to continue to taper down i will do that..but can you please give me some instruction on how to do so..

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, let me explain to you what happened with you. See , since you abrubtly stopped Cymbalta at 30mg without slowly tapering it through 20, 10 mg , you have suffered from SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome ( Withdrawl syndrome) .

Dizziness , irritability, lightheadedness, fainting spells ,sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, etc are withdrawl symptoms which occur in the discontinuation syndrom of An SSRI like Cymbalta (Duloxetine).

So, my advice to you is that , you go back to 30 mg Cymbalta , instead of present 20 mg , and continue on it for 2 weeks ,and then you start tapering the dose , but this time around , you should taper it through 20 mg , maintaining on it for 1-2 weeks ,and then reducing to 10 mg and then after 1-2 weeks stopping the drug . Well, as for the withdrawl symptoms they are self limiting that is they resolve on their own , but since in your case they are excessive , i suggest you start taking clonazepam , in low dose to alleviate the symptoms along with 30 mg cymbalta , which later on you shall taper.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
makes perfect sense! Thank you sooo much

Your welcome..

Thanks for the accept. For any further assistance please feel free to contact.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one more quick thing..sorry..i don't have clonazepam but do have 0.50 mg this okay to take? and also..if i just stick with the 20 mg will my body just get used to that dose? i would hate to think i went through all of this for the past week for nothing..thanks again!

Yes , you may take xanax ( alprazolam) , instead , but take it twice a day after meals .

Also, you may still continue on 20 mg cymbalta , as you have undergone the withdrawl syndrome and as it is you will have to go through the withdrawl symptoms for few more days , so yes you may continue on 20mg dose , but this time do not stop it abruptly , but taper it slowly as i mentioned above.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks've helped A LOT!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago. more question and then i think i'm good...i have noticed over the past couple of days that my pulse is higher than's between this normal? i also dropped my dose again by about 2 mg..and from this point on i will go MUCH slower..i don't want to read anymore of the jibberish on the internet as it just bothers me now..maybe that is what is causing the jittery feeling..hmm..anyway..i'd feel better if i knew this was normal
Hi there,

A pulse of 90-100 for a couple of days , does not make of a significant finding , and probably it is a part of your withdrawl, however once you start xanax , you may find some relieve . As for , reducing your dose , please refrain yourself in tapering the dose quickly and out of line , as you might be feeling that as it is, you are going through withdrawl symptoms , so it would not make any difference if you rapidly reduce the dose again, but let me tell you that , it does not work like this , and you probably will end up abusing the drug. So, please again i need to remind you to go slow in reducing the dose .. Take care..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am only going to remove 3 beads per day from here on out..i am not going to do this quickly anymore..actually i didn't mean to go this quickly this time..i miscounted beads but now i have that problem corrected..thank you sooo much for all of your help!! i am using the xanax but have only had to take 0.25 mg today and a total of that yesterday as well since mornings seem to be the worst time for me..i absolutely DO NOT want to get addicted to anything..and they did help with me noticing my heart may still be beating fast but it isn't bothering me now..again..thank you soo very much!