Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

Hi, my name is Solomon I have 8 years old son he had been dignosed

Hi, my name isXXXXX have 8 years old son he had been dignosed for ADHD, since then he was taking prescription 'ADDERALL' for the last 8 months, it had helped him a lot in a School, except there were some side effects, like losse of appitaite, moodyness and a rear bed wetting. To make it short I lost my job and health insurance on Dec 24. my son is having difficulty of focussing in his school work since we run out of medicine and we can'nt afford buying it. but I have read some testemonial reviws of parents on progressivehealth.com that after they swich from prescription 'ADDERSLL' to this cheaper medicine called ' LISTOL' and how much it helped their kids, with less side effect and gainnig back their appitaites. Doc. will this medicine be safe If I give it a try? will you suggest???. from Atlanta, Georgia
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Your question is interesting; I hadn't heard of the drug Listol until you asked your question and then I did some research on it. While it sounds promising and the testimonials make it sound like a wonder-drug, it is important to know that any drug that's not FDA approved is not regulated by the federal government (and therefore is not well-researched; it's claims of effectiveness are also not monitored or proven in any studies). This is not to say that it doesn't work or isn't helpful, only to caution you about the potential limitations of an unregulated drug.

That being said, Listol claims to include Omega-3 fatty acids which are widely researched and found effective in treating all kinds of psychological conditions ranging from ADD to depression and anxiety.

I hope that this answer doesn't just confuse you more... In short, Listol might be safe and effective but without FDA regulation and more research on it there is no way to prove it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Doctor.

how can I help my son until I get another health insurance?

he is having hard time focussing and self control in the school.

what is your advise???

Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.

If his problems seem to be mostly at school, you may have to enlist the help of his teacher if he/she is willing. In terms of helping kids focus, frequent breaks in which they can walk around and/or have a drink or snack seems to help. Kids with ADD can focus but only for short periods of time- so if you arrange their tasks so that they can be done in small time spurts rather than trying to have them sit for extended periods, kids usually do better.

In terms of self-control and impulsivity issues, it can help if the teacher is willing to offer small but frequent rewards for sitting still or participating. For example, you and your son might set up a system in which if he is able to participate in the school activity for 15 minutes without talking to other students or walking away he will receive 5 M&Ms. (The reward can be anything- doesn't need to be food- but should be something that your son really likes.) Sometimes teachers are too busy or overloaded to participate in this kind of behavior plan so it might be hard to implement at school.

Lively, Psychologist
Experience: Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families