DocHarrison
DocHarrison, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
14430248

i have anxiety disorder real bad, shrink has me on klonopin

i have anxiety disorder real bad, shrink has me on klonopin 1 mg 2 times a day, she want s to change to neurontin, which is more benificail, i know nothing of neurontin? which is stronger to help anxirty attacks?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DocHarrison replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety. I must admit that neurontin is an extremely unusual medication to give for anxiety alone, and its use in this situation would be "off label", meaning the FDA does not approve its use for anxiety (although it is legal for your doctor to prescribe it.

I'd ask about Lexapro or Zoloft, which can be used along with your klonopin and are much more effective than neurontin.

Unless you have chronic pain or a history of seizures, I'd be reluctant with the neurontin unless your doctor gives you a really good reason for this unconventional approach.

Good luck and please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful. Thanks.