JoshMD, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for nearly two years, specializing in pediatrics, ob/gyn, internal medicine.

The department of veterans affairs say that I dont have ptsd

Customer Question

The department of veterans affairs say that I dont have ptsd but when I was in the navy the ship I was stationed to ran into another ship, I got hurt,its in my records And i still dream about it several times a month.I wake up in a frenzy,sweating in a uproar I initially applied for re-occuring back pains headaches and thigh numbness. They only granted me compensation for back pains.I dream that the ship sinks Ive also been complaining of headaches associated with back pains.and thigh numbness ever since.Over the years I got addicted to drugs and tried to committ sucide several times and have been on psych words several times even at the V.A.washington D.C. They have been giving me medicines like acetaminophen,temazephan,paroxitine,cyclobenzaprine,wellbutrine,zoloft,bupropin lorazepam paxil amd cymablta, through the years, I looked up those medications and the medical web site said those medications are given to patients that have major mood swings with depression associated with ptsd what do you think?? would you say I have ptsd they have been given me medications for it,but i;m not diagnosed with it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JoshMD replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your difficult story. Yes, some of your symptoms "COULD" be related to PTSD and you can read further on the diagnostic criteria. However, this is a diagnosis that is made based on clinical impression and is not an exact science. It would be inappropriate of me to try to diagnose online without a complete history and physical. Based on the history of various prescriptions, it does appear that you have a farily complicated history and I would recommend a thorough psychiatric evaluation.

Why are you interested in the PTSD diagnosis?