Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I am losing my mind... I think.. Long story short, for the

I am losing my mind... I think.. Long story short, for the last 5 years I have been plagued with panic attacks, extreme anxiety, depression, and being a complete hypochondriac. I was never like this before. These symptoms all eased up for about a year, but in the last 3 months they have come back full force. I am always having panic attacks, crying for no reason and I feel like complete crap 24/7. I have tried a couple of different therapists, but have not found one yet that seems to be helping. Something has got to give!! I finally found a doctor I could talk to, but that really doesn't help if all my problems are psychological. Am I fighting a losing battle or have I just not found the right therapist/psychologist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Wonder,

Could you please tell me

Have you consulted a Psychiatrist for all this?
Are you taking any medicines?
Suffering from any other illness?
What about alcohol,smoking or any other addiction?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have not consulted a psychiatrist for this, just a therapist and a psychologist or two. I have spoken to psychiatrists in the past, but they have seem to want to medicate me more then trying to use some type of cognitive behavorial therapy. I am currently taking protonix 40mg once a day for my gastroreflux, which I have a feeling is exacerbated by my anxiety. Other then that I started taking Digestive Enzymes, Probiotics, and Omega-3 supplements. I also have a xanax prescription for emergeny panic attacks, but I have not used it at this point. As for illnesses.. no I currently have no ilnesses that I know of with the exception of Gastro reflux. I have no addictions. I gave up smoking and drinking 2 years ago, I have even been able to control my eating habits. I do have a bit of a spending problem when I feel this way, but it is not putting me in financial distress.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply and answering my queries.

In your case, on the basis of what you have written, it seems your symptoms are not under control, and you are not getting benefit from the Psychotherapy alone.
In my view, you should consult a good Psychiatrist near you and a combined treatment involving both the medicines and Psychotherapy may also be useful in cases like that of yours.

Antidepressants have a very good role in treating these disorders.
When patients takes medicines they may have- only a partial response/may be nonresponding to a particular drug/or no response at all, but There are several antidepresent and antianxiety medicines of different class and mode of action available in the market ,and you can go for any one of them after carefully considering all the options with your Psychiatrist.

Please feel free to ask about any other doubt.