Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

What cuases getting teary eyed when in conversation The nature

What cuases getting teary eyed when in conversation? The nature of the conversation is always positive with the other person agreeing with my viewpoint.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

People generally tear up when they have strong emotion. The emotion can be positive or negative. I suspect that when someone agrees with you, it causes a strong positive emotion and you tear up because of it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I can except that explanation, however, what can I do do avoid the symptom when in convesation...if any.
It will be tricky to avoid, because it sounds like you are a very emotional person. You may try taking a slow breath in, holding it and then very slowly breathing out. This may be difficult to do when you are in the middle of a conversation. If you can accomplish this breathing it will calm you down, lower your heart rate and prevent the release of the hormones which contribute to your tearing up.

You may also try to use affirmations before you begin the conversation. I suggest something like "I am calm and relaxed." Repeat several times before you begin the conversation. You can also repeat "I am calm and relaxed" to yourself as you take the slow deep breath. Keep practicing at this and it will get easier.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, how can I control this reaction. I do a lot of one on one meetings with people, and I get asked why my eyes are watering at times....I blame it on allergies, however would like to know if there is any way to control it.

Thank you.
Unfortunately, once the tearing starts you can't really control it. That is why you need to learn to recognize when the tearing is imminent and do the breathing. Using the affirmations before you begin talking to the person one on one should help also.

Good luck.