Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

My mother is currently having delusional thoughts, struggles

Customer Question

My mother is currently having delusional thoughts, struggles with everyday functioning (ie. finding the car door to open), cant get her words out properly, is extremely nervous and anxious (mostly related to the delusional thoughts because she feels unsafe). After many tests over the past few years, CT scans, psychiatrists, psychologists and many medications, psychotic depression has been diagnosed. Mum had been put on a fairly strong medication which I googled back then and it was for schitzophrenia and bipolar patients, this stopped the delusional thoughts but made her so slow and she had no quality of life. Eventually they took her off those and she became much much better. In the past 2 weeks or so she has started back with the symptoms I've mentioned above and her GP has said she's got psychotic depression & put her on 100mg of Zoloft. Is there any other suggestions on what this could be? anything else we can do to help her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.
Hello:

Has your mother been screened for dementia? She is young, but it is not unheard of.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The doctors have told us that the only way to diagnose dementia is to rule everything else out. So I'm really not sure?
That is sometimes true, but there are mental status and memory tests that can be given. In any case, the Zoloft should help with the depression and the agitation.   I am not sure it will be of any help with the delusions.

My suggestion is to take your mother to a geriatric medical specialist for a complete evaluation. She has something going on and you need to get to the bottom of it.