Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

Is Reboxetine (edronax) a suitable prescription drug for adult

Customer Question

Is Reboxetine (edronax) a suitable prescription drug for adult ADHD? I have been to see this Registerar in Pscychiatric Outpatients dept of NHS, referred by my GP. He feels that he doesn't want to "label" me with ADHD and that, in his opinion (even though a new report out by NICE in UK states that it does exist and there are three Adult ADHD NHS clinics in the UK!) it doesn't really exist in adults, as most who have it as children grow out of it. I wasn't diagnosed as a child as I feel I have ADD - innattentive type without the hyperactivity, and cos I lived in small rural village in Wales, where nobody thought about these things in the early 70's! He does say that I may exhibit ADHD "traits"! He has prescibed me reboxetine, which is just a NRI antidepressant and not a common medicine for ADHD. Can someone offer me some guidence or advice here?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

I can understand your frustration and confusion. It is only in the past few years that adult ADHD is becoming more widely acknowledged and there are still many physicians who don't recognize it and therefore aren't educated in how to treat it.

I am not familiar with the medication that you mentioned- Reboxetine- but work with many adult ADHD patients and can tell you some of the commonly prescribed medications that they take. Most commonly prescribed are stimulant medications such as Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin, etc. These medications are generally short-acting, about 5-6 hours (unless you get the extended release version which lasts 10-12 hours), and seem to be very effective in helping people focus, prioritize, and organize themselves (both thoughts and posessions).

Also prescribed for adults with ADHD is Wellbutrin or Strattera- these are both meds used to help relieve the common symptoms of ADD (as mentioned above) and also work to alleviate some of the depressive feelings that adults with ADD commonly experience. These medications take longer to get into your system (a couple of weeks to notice the benefits) but last a lot longer too (if you take it every day it's never totally out of your system).

Many people find that they need to take a combination of both the longer acting meds that treat ADD and depression as well as the shorter acting ones designed just for ADD in order to feel maximum benefit.

Therapy can also be helpful for adults with ADD. As a therapist working with this group I often help people with organizational issues, setting goals and following through, prioritizing, and managing relationship problems that have grown out of these symptoms in the past. I also work with people on building self-esteem as many adults with ADD have experienced a lifetime of feeling like a failure and a disappointment to others.