Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

I am bi polar 2 and because of other psych problems have been

I am bi polar 2 and because of other psych problems have been on antipsychotics for over 20yrs. I am now pre diabetic and cannot take any of the newer antipsychotic meds. I also have gone through every anti manic and cannot take any of them either. I'm ready to come out of my skin. Any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

This sounds very frustrating! Can you take one of the older antipsychotic meds? I know many people who find them effective and have stayed on them in spite of all the newer meds coming out. Do mood stabilizers help? What does your current psychiatrist recommend?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Iwas on navane before the newer drugs came out and had some uncomfortable side effects. As for mood stabilizers, I have been on Litium and depekote and could not tolerate them. Litium made me shake badly and depakote stopped me cold.
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest asking your psychiatrist about other options. For example, some people find Tegretol helpful as a mood stabilizer. Also, there are lots of other older anti-psychotics aside from Navane. As far as medications go, I'm not sure what else to suggest. My guess is that, over the next couple of years, there will be even newer antipsychotic meds that come out that aren't as taxing on the liver as the current ones and you might be able to tolerate these, but that doesn't really help you right now.

Does talk therapy feel useful to you?