Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

My daughter is 38, pregnant, and on Maryland Medicaid. She

Customer Question

My daughter is 38, pregnant, and on Maryland Medicaid. She is due in July. This is her third child but she is in the middle of a bitter divorce from the first 2 children's father. She refused to even consider an abortion. She is on public assistace and we are trying to make her house payments so she does not lose the house in Germantown, MD. The new baby's father is not able to offer much support.She has been on
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification. She needs to talk to her doctor about any medication taken during pregnancy. There are very few that will work for mood swings and anxiety which will not harm the baby. The only one that is universally approved for pregnancy is Prozac. Some doctors will use other medications, but she needs to be evaluated for her own specific case and her doctor is the best person to do that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What medication could she take while pregnant. Her OB-GY
N wants her to see a psychiatrist who could prescribe the correct medication but she annot find one that takes Medicaid.

It depends on what her diagnosis is. Cymbalta and Xanax are used for depression and anxiety.   The only medication addressing depression and anxiety approved for pregnancy is Prozac. If her doctor wants her to see a psychiatrist, my guess is that he thinks her case is more complicated. Can her OB-GYN make a recommendation?