Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hi I am on serquel and effoxior (sorry about the spelling!)

Hi I am on serquel and effoxior (sorry about the spelling!) 100mg1x daily @ night and 150 mg @ brekfest for the 2nd med. I am feeling myself slip again I have not slept in 3 days and I can't stop thinking........ I thought serquel was supposed to help with this..... I am losing my mental barings and I am worried is there anything you would recommend?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer !

Did you mean you are taking seroquel-- 100 mg at night (once a day) and effexor 150 mg at breakfast ( once a day ). And since when are you taking these medications?

Could you please confirm your diagnosis, that would help in adjusting your medications?

Regards...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the meds & doses are correct and my diagnosis is depression\anxsiouty\insomia\bipolar.

thank you for your time.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Well, the fact that you are struggling with insomnia can be attributed to the reason that you have not been given an axiolytic drug , which will assist in inducing sleep, though seroquel (quetiapine ) is a good sedative ( helps in induction of sleep) , but in your case you kind of have developed resistance to its sedative action.

So i propose that you need a bit of modification in your treatment regime and that is you add Ambien CR , 1 tab at night to the already treatment that you are placed on, that is 100 mg seroquel at night and effexor 150 mg at breakfast. Ambien CR is a tried and tested drug used world wide for insomnia , so you shall discuss about it with your doctor and get started on it and i believe this will definitely help you.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry