How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend that is a raging aloholic. she tried to burn

Customer Question

I have a friend that is a raging aloholic. she tried to burn her house down last night. She sent out a text message before she did it so I think she is really wanting to harm herself. SHE NEEDS HELP. PROFESSIONAL HELP. AA IS NOT WORKING FOR HER. WHERE DO I TURN TO GET HER HELP
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

Your situation with your friend is critical. It appears that she has made some choices which are quite destructive, so much so that AA is not helping and she has lost parental rights to her children. You are absolutely correct. She needs professional help.

I suggest you contact the nearest inpatient drug and alcohol program and talk to their admissions department. They are usually open 24/7. Tell them the situation and have them coordinate an intervention designed to get her to the hospital for a medically supervised detox, inpatient treatment with intensive outpatient treatment after discharge as well as aftercare groups and AA. She needs acute as well as long term care to maintain her sobriety. Even then there are no guarantees. Please act immediately. Good luck.