Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Hi there, just need a little advice. I am 28, married & have

Customer Question

Hi there, just need a little advice. I am 28, married & have 2 kids. About 6 months after my daughter was born my mum tried to kill herself with an overdose. It was a huge shock although she had been suffering from depression. She was taken to the phsyciatric hospital for a fair few months but is just getting back to her old self now (3 years later). Then when i was pregnant with my son my dad got cancer and we thought he wasnt going to make it. He is now in remission! Although i know this may come across as selfish i am sure all this has had a huge affect on me. I have always been realy close to my parents and i was so terrified i was going to lose both of them. I felt alone and that i had no-one to talk to. The thing is since all this i have developed a number of problems. IBS, i am scared of being sick, i feel realy self concious, happy 1 day then down the next, i cant stop binge eating and i am scared of being on my own. scared of haveing to look after my kids alone! Nikki
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Do you feel extremely lethargic and lacking energy?

Do you indulge in over sleeping and overeating?

Though feelong low in mood , do you feel happy when you hear or get toknow some good news?

Kindly try to answer my questions as i need to confirm the diagnosis of your condition , which i right now i am suspecting ?

Regards....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I do feel rather lethargic and lacking energy. I dont indulge in oversleeping because i dont get the chance with 2 kids and a hubby who works overtime. i do tend to overeat if i am not in a happy mood and i do feel realy happy if i get good news.

Thanks

Nikki

Thanks for the reply.

Well, from what you have mentioned , i believe you are suffering from What is called as Atypical Depression, as the symptoms you had mentioned fit the diagnosis quite well, and that is why i asked you few questions to confirm it.

However , there is nothing to worry, it is just that you need to consult your doctor /GP and you shall discuss with him the diagnosis i had proposed , as well as the treatment regime that i am mentioning below.

1) 1 Anti depressant needs to be started , keeping in mind , that your hands are full , taking care of your two small kids and outside & household activities, so i would suggest you go for either Venlafaxine ( Effexor XR) , OR , Paroxatine (paxil). Both these are quite safe drugs , and will not cause you any sort of sluggishness or sloppiness, in fact, once you have been sustained on them , your lethargy , lack of energy and other related symptoms will also go away. You need to take any one of the two mentioned drugs, let your GP decide on the dosage and the time of intake.

2) 1 Anti anxiety drug such as a clonazepam (klonopin) or buspirone (buspar) or lorazepam , any one of the three mentioned, needs to be added to the 1 anti depressant. Again the dosage and the time of intake needs to be decided by your GP.

A word of caution , these psychiatry drugs are not to be taken during pregnancy , since you are in a child bearing age group, and if you are thinking of pregnancy then you need to discuss about the use of these drugs to the gynaecologist .

So, i suggest you discuss the probable diagnosis and the treatment regime with your doctor and get started on the treatment as soon as possible and i believe you would find a positive change in your health after a while.

Wish you all the best.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards.