Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

I have stopped taking my meds about a year ago. Should I get

I have stopped taking my meds about a year ago. Should I get back on it if I start to feel depressed
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.
Customer

If your previous medication was helpful in treating your depression it sounds like a good idea to resume taking it if your depressive symptoms return. I would suggest that you consult your prescribing psychiatrist however as you may need to adjust the dosage and will certainly need refills.

Also, some people find that when they go off of a medication and then start taking it again it is not quite as effective as it was the first time. If this is the case, your psychiatrist can help you transition to another antidepressant that might work better.