Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I have a young client of 25 who suffers from severe depression.

I have a young client of 25 who suffers from severe depression. I monitored him through extra sessions and telephone calls during a particular bad attack of depression. On the third week I asked him to go to his doctor. Does this seems a reasonable way to behave or do you think I should have referred him earlier?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

To answer your first question, your conduct seems reasonable to me. You spent extra time with him and monitored him for safety. I guess if it had been me, I would want to know if the client was willing to go to the doctor. If so, I would have sent him earlier, but you did not do anything outside of standard of care in my opinion.

As for the second question, we are always in danger if a client becomes angry at us. I suppose a case could be made that you were practicing medicine without a license. I would check with my malpractice insurance representative about the liability issue. I do think you have some exposure.