Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

My wife was involuntarilly addmitted to a hospital in Lehigh

My wife was involuntarilly addmitted to a hospital in Lehigh County, Pa for mental evaluation. She was apparently addmitted by attending ER phycisian. What is the time frame they can legally keep her? Do I need a lawyer? I would prefer to get her help on an outpatient basis because the environment she is in may only make matters worse. Thanks, Brian.
Customer

When someone is involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital it is first for a 3-day evaluation period (this might actually be longer than 3 days if there is a weekend in there). Once this 3-day period is up, if the hospital finds the person a risk to themselves or someone else, they can re-commit the person for a longer period of time. This next period of time will vary but usually isn't more than 1-2 weeks. In rare cases, the hospital can petition a judge for longer commitments that can last a few months.

While there isn't much to do legally at this point, I would encourage you to express your concern to your wife's doctors on the psychiatric unit. They will likely want to know what kind of care she would be receiving at home if they were to release her, so you might want to have this set up prior to your talking to them (this would include outpatient psychiatric care, as well as having you or someone else available to her at home).