Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

i get very paranoid about any thing ..if i hear a sound people

i get very paranoid about any thing ..if i hear a sound people are breaking in,if my girlfriends phone rings its some one trying to take her from me,people at the store are planning to meet me in the parking lot,every one is waiting for my failure.when i get paranoid..i start to investigate,it may be hours upon hours that im searching for who made that noise..where is this person trying to hurt me.this makes me very anxious.if im around people my anxiety leads me to act out agressively...i cannot get help quick enough and my life is falling apart is there some thing you know that may help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

I'm glad that you're seeking some professional help. The kind of anxious/paranoid thinking that you're experiencing can be very upsetting and difficult to bear, as well as very hard on relationships.

I would suggest that you seek the help of a psychiatrist rather than another mental health counselor at this point as I believe that medication will help you much faster than therapy. That's not to say that therapy wouldn't be useful- I think it would- but just that medication might provide quicker relief for you so that you could manage your feelings better.

When you have these anxious or paranoid thoughts, is there part of you that knows that they're irrational? If so, I would encourage you to really focus on that part of your mind and try to build it up in yourself by repeating things like, "This is very scary but I know it's not real". This won't take the fear away immediately but might help prevent it from growing.