Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

i am currently on cymbalta 30 mg and have a script for lexapro.

i am currently on cymbalta 30 mg and have a script for lexapro. do i need to continue the cymbalta or stop it to start the lexapro?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Generally doctors will tell you to stop the Cymbalta (30 mg is a small dose) and start the Lexapro. Are you titrating up on the Lexapro? What is the beginning dose of the Lexapro? Most importantly, what did your doctor tell you to do?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I started out on 30 mg at first then went to 60 mg then weened myself back down to 30 mg for about 2 months now..i did take 3 doses of 60 mg thinking i needed to up my dose due to the anxiety but it just made it worse..the beginning dose of lexapro is 10 mg which i took for the first time last night..did not take the cymbalta..i feel okay today other than some pretty bad nausea, a dull headache and i feel kind of spacey..sort of like i'm hungover..my doctor didn't really give me any real instructions on what to do with this
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
and i am somewhat tired..but not as bad as i thought it was going to be..i had a hard time sleeping last night..but i did go to bed quite early..730 p.m. and was awake at around 4 am
You sound like you are having some normal side effects with the Lexapro as well as probably some withdrawal symptoms from the Cymbalta. With my patients I do hear that many of them have difficulties tapering off the Cymbalta, and I must say I am surprised your doctor did not give you more specific instructions.

I would go ahead with what you are doing and if the doctor told you to go up to 20 mg on the Lexapro make sure you know when he/she wants you to do this. You may be able to go to 20 mg as soon as one week if you are feeling OK.

Please call your doctor immediately if your symptoms become worse. They should be getting a little bit better each day.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am a little bit anxious and still nauseated but i do feel a little better..just want the anxiety to subside..