Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I had a stroke in the past. I have been on .5-1mg of xanax

I had a stroke in the past. I have been on .5-1mg of xanax daily for 5 weeks. I quit cold turkey 2.5 days ago. It feels like my nervous system is sleeping. My eyes feel very strange - like there is a disconnect between my eyes and my brain. They also look strange. It feels as if parts of my brain aren't working or are disconnected. I don't want to see my doctor because I wasn't supposed to take so much xanax. Is it possible that I could have permanent brain damage? What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

First of all one must never stop Xanax cold turkey. You need to taper off of it slowly. That could account for your symptoms. You took .5 - 1 mg daily, which may be more than you were supposed to take, but not a huge dose.

Please put your pride in your pocket and call your doctor to tell him/her what has happened. You may need to go back on the Xanax and taper off gradually. I doubt if you have permanent brain damage.