Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Lately I have been getting more and more headaches while at

Lately I have been getting more and more headaches while at work. I am easily irritated by people, and finding that I am forgetting more of what is asked of me. My memory is pretty well shot at this moment that I can't even remember what I did a few days ago. When I am out having fun I can remember that stuff, but things from work I can't. I simple phone call afterhours can put me in a fit of rage, or make me want to cry. I have constant pain in my neck and shoulders, and difficulty falling and staying asleep. Now I know I'm stressed, I'm more curious of should I go see a doctor or what. My diet hasn't changed, eating healthy, but anything I do to realive my stress goes out the window as soon as my phone rings, or my idiot boss or slackass co-workers open their mouths. I like my job, but right now it is the route of ally stress and talking to people above me that can do something is not helping. I need help, or stress leave.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
Hello:

Let me make this very clear: See a doctor! You are not only stressed, you have symptoms of anxiety and depression. You may benefit from an antidepressant.

The exercise is very helpful. Exercise aerobically every day at least 30 minutes. Keep eating right. Get enough sleep.

If you have an EAP benefit at your place of employment call them and talk to someone about your work stress. If this continues without some relief you will start having more physical symptoms instead of just the headaches. You will have GI symptoms, and it won't do your heart any good, either.

Please take action on this immediately. Your health depends on it. Let me know if you have any questions about anything I have said.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see that you mentioned GI issues. Now I know back in October 2007 I had an upper GI endoscope and colonoscopy due to a 3rd case of abdominal pain in a year and a half. All cases was thought to be food poisoning, but after the 3rd time doctors decided to look closer at different things. Now this was before I felt under this much work stress but it was found that I was suffering from acid-reflux. And I know last time I had a cold I ended up getting constipated which isn't normal for me. I know recently, well back at the beginning of November last year I was kicked while arresting someone at work. It was first thought to be bruised ribs bblecause xrays didn't show any fractures or breaks, but thought to be cracked ribs when I was taking to ER in December after a bear-spray incident. It took much longer then doctors said for them to heal, as it is now January and I can sometimes still feel a little pain on my right side at the bottom of my ribs after wearing anything tight (ballistic vest), of after any big work outs or heavy lifting.

So I'm guessing these are probably some more signs that don't point to anything good.
You are correct. Please start talking to someone about your work stress. If you are a policeman they have department psychologists. I can understand why you may be reluctant to talk to someone, but you are much too young to have all of these medical issues, which I am positive can be traced directly to your work stress.

Do yourself a favor and start to get some help with this. You cannot do it alone. Best to you in the future.
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I guess when stating that I am making arrests and wearing body-armour it can give the impression that I am a police officer. I am a security supervisor for a property management company. So we look after around 3 million square feet of property. And with this job I work in a senior supervisor, my manager, another supervisor, and look after 18 security guards and 4 dispatchers. Most of my issues is that my manager and senior supervisor don't do there job, nor know how to do half of it, so I end up doing it, as well as the other supervisor I work with is suppose to be the training officer and he spends his days watching videos on the net letting untrained people train people. So I am trying to supervise everyone, train them, do all the tasks asked of me by superiors. So unfortunately when it comes to on-call afterhours everyone calls me because no one else knows the answers. My senior super actually has told workers to call me so that he isn't bothered.

So at work and outside of work I am pulled every which way they can pull me. Surprisingly on of the things in my life that normally causes stress (relationships) is actually keeping me sane.

But I know we have a service setup at work for a number to call to be put in touch with psychiatrists and that we get assistance paid by the company to go into one as well. So I think I will be speaking with my HR manager about it, learn my options and such. Save myself many more health problems, or a mental break down.
Good for you! You must learn how to set boundaries. You are being taken advantage of at work, and it is impacting your help in a very negative way. Make that call now!