Prof. Ward MA LSWA
Prof. Ward MA LSWA, Therapist
Experience:  Masters Degree, Childhood Psychopathology Prof , Licensed Social Worker Asso
14723606

I have taken Ativan for about a year. 3/4 of a .5 pills 3

Customer Question

I have taken Ativan for about a year. 3/4 of a .5 pills 3 times a day. I was just prescribed Celexa and since yesterday I have been feeling weird like I am out of it or high. Is this normal? I am also very tired. I just don't like this feeling of everything being surreal. Is it safe to take Celexa and Ativan together? I just started taking .25 3 times a day to wean off this medication.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Prof. Ward MA LSWA replied 7 years ago.

Mixing the two medication will make you drowsy for some time until your body adjusts to the medication combination. Also I would recommend asking your doctor to start "weening" you off the Ativan as you have been taking it for quite some time and most like your body has become dependent on it, (esp. at 3 times a day). See if it is possible to go gradually down to two (I would suggest the a.m. does to be removed first since you are experiencing some drowsiness with the Celexa).

Final note- if you continue to feel "weird" I would strongly recommend calling your doctor. - Muse